The way I see it; there are 3 categories guys fall into when they’re thinking about what to wear for senior photos. I imagine it’s something like this:
- I’m not thinking about it. That’s mom’s thing.
- I know exactly what I want to wear.
- My t-shirt and jeans are all I ever wear. I don’t want to look weird and all different.
Not to worry. When a senior (or actually the senior’s parent) books a session with me there are a few things I do to make sure the whole shebang is tailored to that specific guy. First of all, every senior gets the Senior Experience magazine. There are 6 pages on guys’ wardrobes alone. (Plus a ton of other stuff but this is just about clothes.) A month before the session I send out a questionnaire. That’s a huge part of planning and that’s what lets me know what the senior’s style is. Then if senior guy (or mom) would like some additional guidance I can make suggestions based on who they are, not just what’s trending on pinterest.
Here’s the bullet points:
- YOU WILL SEE YOUR SHOES!!! Wear something you normally wear. Tennis shoes are fine as long as they’re in good shape, clean and a color that works with the rest of your wardrobe. A lot of my seniors are farm kids and wear workboots. I love it! (Kick the cow crud off them though.)
- Jeans are always okay. Always.
- If you have the longer session you have time for wardrobe change. Make your two (or more) shirts different enough to be noticeable. One plaid, one solid. Maybe one jeans and one khaki or shorts.
- If you want to wear a suit or dressier option, go for it! If you don’t want to wear something like that, you don’t have to.
- Guys can wear layers. They’re called sweatshirts and jackets. It is 100% acceptable to wear something very casual.
- If you wear a hat all the time you can wear them in some photos.
- Make sure all the clothes you’re goin to wear fit well and are clean and ready to go.
- Sports uniforms count as a wardrobe. Full uniform or jersey with jeans. All good to me.
Curious about the whole senior experience? Check out The RJP Senior Experience blog post to learn more! Don’t forget to check back next week for the What to Wear – Girls Edition!
And cue the photo inspiration…
leave a comment
Share page to: